Monday, August 31, 2009

English is from head to toe.

I joined a new project last Tuesday. Right away, I had a three-day meeting in English. Whew... The funny thing is that there was no native English speaker in the meeting. German, Belgian, South African and Japanese.

I was tired from 3 days in English. It was hard. However a harder thing is waiting for me. I'm going to Singapore on business and stay there for about two weeks. Two weeks in English.

I have to catch up tons of new things of the project. It's hard to conduct that in English. I want to get used to this situation as soon as possible. I'm sure that this experience would prepare me for working abroad.

4 comments:

Rick Cogley said...

Don't worry, you'll do fine! Dive in! It's what you need to go to the next level. Really hard to understand with the accents, though. :-)

-- Rick

sand said...

Rick-san,

Thank you for your encouragement!
Today, I talked with a Singaporean counterpart on a conference call. I couldn't understand his English with a Chinese accent at all!!

Rick Cogley said...

You're not alone, la?

Look up "singlish" for a little about the speech patterns in Singapore. La seems to be like "ne" in Japanese.

sand said...

"La" is like "ne." I see. That's good to know.
By the time I come back to Japan, I might be a master of Singlish. (^o^)
Thank you for your comment again!