Sunday, November 19, 2006

Therefore and otherwise

I know meanings of "therefore" and "otherwise" but both of words seldom appear in my English study. So those words also don't appear in my conversation. But after joining the present company about 3 weeks ago, I found that people often use those words. Hmm... So I tried use "therefore" in my e-mail the other day. I'll try to use those in the future. I wonder both of words are formal words. Is it strange to say those words in conversation with friends?

2 comments:

PA said...

Just thinking about it now, I use 'otherwise' quite often I think with friends - for me it usually follows a clause about something I/someone should do to avoid something else: I really should get some exercise otherwise I'm going to get really fat!
As for 'therefore' it sounds quite formal to me - in business or letter writing it's more common, I reckon. In a less formal situation I'd probably just use 'so'. But there's no harm in using formal words with friends too :-)

sand said...

I see. Hmm... Yes, I often see "therefore" in e-mails. I try to use "otherwise" often in my conversation and make this word my own. Thank you, PA!