Wednesday, September 04, 2013

World War I wills

I often use the BBC Learning English site for my English study.
The news that I used today made me get misty-eyed.

The following is an excerpt from it;

The last wishes, thoughts and concerns of more than 230,000 soldiers who died in World War I are to be made available online.

The wills and letters that accompanied them give a picture of the lives and loves of the some of the millions of soldiers who served in the First World War.

They tell of the family and friends that the men at the front had left behind.

The following are extracts from those written by Privates Harry Lewis Lincoln and Joseph Witchburn:

Private Harry Lewis Lincoln:
My dearest Clara, I have been expecting a letter from you. I expect you thought I might not get it. But you can always write to the last address. It will always find me, dear Clara.
Private Joseph Witchburn:
If I get killed in active service there will be a medal for me somewhere, and I hope you will try to get it and keep it for the boy to wear when he grows up.


When I read the yellow-colored parts, although I was on the train, I got misty-eyed and read them over and over again. I get sad thinking about what feelings they had when they wrote those.

The full article of the BBC site;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/language/wordsinthenews/2013/08/130830_witn_wwi_wills.shtml


No comments: