Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mini Kyoto trip Part 2 --- 1st day-2 Around Gion etc

After Kiyomizu temple, we tried to get to Yasaka shrine. On the way to the shrine...


Look! It is not a back lot of samurai drama. It's normal house. Wow! There are many houses like that in Kyoto. I feel as if I time-trip.


Maiko or Geiko. They are going to work.


Before we get to Yasaka shrine, we ran into this temple. Although it is in neighborhood of my friend, he said he hadn't seen and didn't know it. According to the guidebook, its name is Kennin temple and it seems to be famous. It was built in 1202 in imitation of one Chinese temple.


We finally arrived at Yasaka temple. It already got dark. This main building is a national important cultural asset. Gion festival at this shrine in summer is very famous.



After leaving from Yasaka shrine, we ran into this illuminated temple. Beautiful! I checked a map. It was Chion-in which is very very famous. We didn't intend to come to here, but it was very nice to encounter this beautiful Chion-in. Sorry but these photos cannot show its real fineness.


We walked and walked all day that day. Then we walked to downtown Kyoto.


Above photos are typical traditional Kyoto style restaurants. Those open on a river. What a nice atmosphere! But those are expensive. I want to come to one of them sometime.


My friend took me Ponto-cho. It is the street filled with Kyoto atmosphere, representing the evening in Kyoto. There are many kyoto-style restaurants on both side of this very narrow street. We tried to find a good restaurant but... there were TOO many people in Kyoto that day. Almost all of the restaurants were full, and long lines. We had already walked a lot to see temples and shrines, but we had to continue to walk to find a restaurant. Walking, walking, but we couldn't find. So in the meantime, we went to an Irish pub. We had a tipple and played foosball. It was the first time for me to play it. Hmm... a bit difficult.

Then we went to Ponto-cho again and tried to find a restaurant... but... we couldn't. We ended up going to izakaya. My legs were very tired because of walking too much and I couldn't walk fast any more.

After that, we met my friend's friend at the Irish pub, and we played foosball again. I was excited!!

After coming back to my hotel, I massaged my legs in a bath. Thank you for too long walking all day, dear my legs. haha.

Thanks to my friend, I really enjoyed Kyoto. (and even foosball. haha) Thank you my friend!

No comments: