Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

I tend to respect people who have SUPER mental strength. A person I respect was only one, Matsui Hideki of the New York Yankees. I have known him since he was in high school.

Recently I have one more person I respect. He also had SUPER mental strength.
He is Randy Pausch, died of pancreatic cancer on 25th July 2008. He was a Carnegie Mellon Professor and held "The Last Lecture" at his university about a year ago, and this lecture became very big YouTube hit.

I heard about this information the other day and saw the video.
Although he knew that his days were numbered, his attitude and words were very positive.




After the lecture, a book "The Last Lecture" was published.
http://www.thelastlecture.com/

The Japanese translation of it was also published and I found it in a library. But it was reserved by MANY people. I made a reservation but I have no idea when I can read it.

His lecture was very interesting and his expression with humor was wonderful.
But what I was impressed more was his web site.

http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/news/

He faced his reality and wrote philosophically.
He must have felt chagrined strongly that he had to leave his 3 small kids. He must have cried with his wife too many times. He also must have cried alone too many times.
But, I think nobody could detect a whiff of that in his lecture and web site.
I couldn't read his web site without tears.

I wonder how his family is now. He was a wonderful person so many of his friends must help his family. And a wonderful person's wife must be a wonderful person. So I believe she is doing well with her kids.

No comments: