Saturday, October 14, 2006

Ex-president is the president?

I finished watching "24 season 4" for 9 nights in a row the other day. I felt its story was a bit boring more than season 1 - 3. I sometimes could see where the story was going. At first, most casts were someone I didn't know and I thought where familiar people were. But as the story continued, they appeared, Tony, Michelle (I like her), the former president Palmer...

By the way, people called Palmer "President". Why? I watched it hearing dubbed Japanese so I don't know what they said in English. Is it common that former president is called "President"? Is Mr. Clinton still called President Clinton?

4 comments:

PA said...

Hmm.
I think it's more common to say, "former President,Bill Clinton".
I'm not sure, but I remember hearing that if you were the former President of America, you always keep the title, 'President'. Might be wrong though.
Hmm.

sand said...

Oh, they keep the title President. I see. Yeah, in the drama "24", although I didn't know what he meant at that time, Mr. Palmer said to a cabinet member that his title was still president, I think he said... probably... maybe...

Anonymous said...

hello...

a former president keeps the title, but usually they always include his name too. sometimes people will say "former...", but it is not necessary. although maybe it could be confusing when President Bush's dad visits him?

sand said...

Thank you, Kirk!
It's a bit strange for Japanese that they keep the title...
Yes, if there are both Bush and his dad, I wonder what people call them. "President Papa Bush"? haha!