Thursday, July 01, 2010

Consideration the difference between the male and female brain about acquiring language

I tried to write the title of this article like a dissertation's one, but it ended up being too long. haha.

Recently, I found out that women are much better at acquiring English than men.

Living in English speaking countries is of great advantage to acquiring English, and I've always felt that it's almost impossible for me to be able to speak English like people who have lived abroad. In fact, among people who live in English speaking countries, 99% of women I've ever met can speak fluently. However, I've met some men whose English is not so good that I can't believe they have live abroad. Their skills of grammar, idioms and vocabulary are bad, but most of all, their pronunciation is too bad. Probably many people doubt that they have lived abroad.

I wonder why there is this difference between male and female. Female brain might be good at acquiring language, at least English. If so, actually I've thought my brain is close to male brain rather than female brain. I wonder if that's why I can't improve my English. hehe. It's just an excuse.

*-*-*-*-* comments about English in this article *-*-*-*-*
I wrote in this article, "is of great advantage to." But actually I'm not sure why "of" is necessary. Is "is a great advantage to" wrong?
Other examples are;
"is of great importance"
"is of great difficulty"
"is of much help"

I wonder why "of" is necessary and what "of" means in this case.

No comments: