Monday, April 21, 2008

Another meaning of "reservation"

I found today that "reservation" has the meaning of not only "making a booking", but also "anxiousness" or "concern". I didn't know!

A dialogue I am using for my English study today is about economic conditions, especially the low unemployment rate.

A person says that America is what they call "a worker's market". (This English material was made long time ago.) He also says that you can get any job you want. Then his boss says that he has reservations. Reservations? So I tried to understand that it meant he applied for some jobs and got some offers or was waiting for the results. But, of course, it was different at all. He is anxious about the worker's market situation. Hmm... If you didn't know another meaning of "reservation" like me, you would entirely misunderstand this story.

My poor English is sometimes dangerous.

No comments: