Monday, April 21, 2008

A photo exhibition of Medecins Sans Frontieres

A photo exhibition of Medecins Sans Frontieres is taking place in Aoyama and I visited it yesterday.

The Photos were about activities by MSF in Kenya, especially efforts toward AIDS treatment. A German photographer, Mattias Steinbach took those pictures and he explained us about the photos and the situation there.

It was meaningful to visit it, it was a bit different from the activities I want to do though. I want to involve in the activities to help poor children in the world with going to school. But the activities of MSF are involved in the life-or-death issues. Probably all children who appeared in the photos can't go to school.

When I started to think about doing humanitarian assistance, I thought I should have become a doctor or other medical expert. What can I do when I go somewhere to do humanitarian assistance? In the poor countries, the disaster areas and conflict regions, medical experts are most necessary people. But according to the information, many people who are not medical experts are working even in MSF, such as administrators and logisticians. Clinical psychotherapists are also working, it's a part of medical experts though.
I thought that psycholotherapists are also needed for helping poor children with going to school. I wonder if it's difficult to be that. But to be the clinical psychotherapist, I have to go on to graduate school... Things are not easy.

Some toddlers in the photos are smiling, cherishing a doll, hugging their mothers... those are not any different from other toddlers in blogs I often access to. But real situations are much different.

No comments: