Saturday, July 19, 2008

Haircut

I had my hair cut today. I ordered to cut my forelock shorter than usual. So it is a bit too short. Hmm... OK, hair will grow soon.

In English, they say "I had my hair cut."
But in Japanese language, it's a bit different.
We say "I cut (my) hair" in Japanese even though we don't cut ourselves.
For example;

Next day of your haircut, probably your friends or co-workers say in Japanese,
"Oh, did you cut (your) hair? It's ---"

Another example;
"Where do you go now?"
"I'm going to cut (my) hair."

Such being the case, it's a bit difficult for me to adapt myself to the phrase "I had my hair cut".

4 comments:

Rick Cogley said...

A lot of folks say "I cut my hair" when they mean "I had my hair cut". It was pointed out as incorrect to us in school, unless you actually did the cutting. Of course, when one does not have much hair, he can easily just cut it himself! Buzz!

sand said...

Oh, even native speakers say "I cut my hair." by mistake. This construction is difficult to acquire.
"I had the roof repaired."
"I had my wallet stolen."
Uhh...

Rick Cogley said...

Yes, that's true. Recently we had our house painted and a new room added, so that feels refreshing. The construction guys left piles of dust everywhere which we kept having to clean up, though!

sand said...

Oh! You had your house remodeled. That's nice!