Friday, July 04, 2008

Meaning of stranger

There was the following sentence in a mail.

"Keep in touch. Don't be a stranger."

Don't be a stranger? What does it mean?

For me, a stranger is a kind of weird, odd or suspicious person. So I checked "stranger" in a dictionary.

It was much different.

Example sentences in the dictionary are;

"I'm sorry I'm a stranger around here."
"A passing stranger"
I see. A passerby isn't a weird, odd and suspicious person. Haha.

"You're quite a stranger./Hello, stranger!"
I see, I see!

But when it comes to a stranger, my brain still images a weird, odd and suspicious person. It seems to take much time to change the image of stranger.

2 comments:

Rick Cogley said...

Hi S - to "be a stranger" is kind of like being "mizu-kusai" in Japanese nuance-wise.

Cheers,
Rick

sand said...

Oh, mizu-kusai. I see.
It is difficult to explain the meaning of mizu-kusai in English.
Thank you!