Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Book: "Holes" by Louis Sachar

(Reading this book in English)

It was very interesting story.
A main character is a boy whose name is Stanley. But other 3 episodes are also told in this story, about Stanley's great-grandfather, great-great grandfather and another one which is very important.
At first, those episodes seem to have nothing to do with each other, but there are many foreshadowings and the episodes link each other. It might be a commonly-used approach, but it's really superb and fun.

After reading this book, I read the brief plot of this story in Japanese. Then I found there were some links between each episode which I didn't realize when I read the book. Oops! One of them is revealed around the last part of the story. Before that, readers must be impressed with a lot of amazing links. Then when they read the last part, they must be surprised, "Oh, even this is linked!" Due to my poor English, I missed some fun parts. It's often the case for me.

I need much higher English skill to understand stories in English perfectly.

No comments: