Saturday, June 13, 2009

Book: "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink

(I read this book in English)

I read this book several months ago.
This story was made into a movie, and Kate Winslet who played the leading character of this movie, won the Oscar for best actress in a leading role. I didn't know about this book till then although it has become a bestseller in the world. I checked the sites of the movie and I found its ad copy, "5 million people cried reading the original." That's why I decided to try to read it.

First, I didn't cry.
The story is developing quite calmly without any surprising or exciting matters. However it was profound. And most people must think "why" at the shocking ending, but there was no answer to why in the story. Each person has to imagine "why" by themselves.

The movie will hit the screen in a week in Japan. I'm going to watch it.

4 comments:

Rick Cogley said...

Sand - How are you? I liked this movie a lot. It makes you think. —Rick

sand said...

Rick-san,

Thank you for your comment. I'm fine!
Have you already watched this movie? I'm going to watch it at the end of this month, and looking forward to it!

Linn said...

Hello! =)
I've also read the book, but in german and i've seen the movie, too. I am in some way fascinated with the story line. Kate Winslet acting is wonderful authentic! I hope you like it, too ;-)

sand said...

Linn,

Oh, you also like this story. So I can't wait to watch it!
Thank you for your comment.