Saturday, June 27, 2009

Movie: The Reader

As I wrote, I have read the book "The Reader" a couple months ago, and I had been looking forward to watching the movie.

I think it's a great movie. Although I didn't cry when reading the book, the movie caused eyes to water.
However, I'd prefer the book to the movie. Because, in the movie, I thought the early years of the leading character was described a bit flimsily.

The leading character is Michael. The story consists of two parts, his young age and adult age. As long As I read the book, I thought the main part of this story was his young age and the leading character was obviously a young Michael, not an adult Michael. He had many kind of complicated feeling toward a woman whose name was Hanna. Hanna did, too. The book described them very well.

On the other hand, the filmmaker described the movie with another approach. They put the adult Michael on a leading character, and described the story of young Michael as just a page of his youth. It's a pity.

Whenever I watch movies after readng original books, I'm a bit disappointed. It can't be helped. It's hard to condense a story into an only two hours movie, especially if the book is a masterpiece.

All actors were great, especially Kate Winslet who acted Hanna. She won the Oscar for best actress in a leading role.
I heard that the filmmaker pushed her to the best supporting actress nomination, but the Academy recommends the best actress nomination. She was great in the movie.

No comments: