Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Mochi (rice cake) is do-or-die food?

Usually Japanese eat mochi (rice cake) during the New Year's days. There are many kinds of ways to eat mochi, such as zoni, kinako-mochi and isobe-yaki.

At this time of the year, some elderly people have died from sticking mochi sticking in to their throat. According to yesterday's news, 7 people have died this year. The authorities are urging that elderly people and kids eat cut mochi cutting up into small pieces before eating.

I don't think mochi is food something that is can easily get stuck in the your throat. I wonder But, maybe I will realize it when I get older.

----------------------------------------
Thank you, Karekora!

2 comments:

karekora said...

Konnichiwa Sand-san! I have just recently found your website and your English is great! sugoku jozu desu yo! Sometimes I wish that people would correct my Japanese more so I can learn my mistakes, so, with that in mind... Dozo!

Usually Japanese people eat mochi (rice cake) during the New Year. There are many kinds of ways to eat mochi, such as zoni, kinako-mochi and isobe-yaki.

At this time of the year, some elderly people have died from mochi sticking to their throat. According to yesterday's news, 7 people have died this year. The authorities are urging that elderly people and kids cut mochi up into small pieces before eating.

I don't think mochi is something that can easily get stuck in your throat. But, maybe I'll realise when I get older!

Happy New Year!

sand said...

Karekora,
Thank you for your compliment on my English. But my conversation skill is much lower than my reading. :-(

And thank you so much for your correction. Especially I didn't know what I should write about following 2 parts.
"The authorities are urging..." and "I don't think mochi is..."
Yes, correction is very helpful!