Thursday, January 04, 2007

New Year's resolution

I saw the word "New Year's resolution" for the first time in other's blog the other day. I wondered what it meant. After that, I often found it in other's blogs. And then I heard it in the TV news. Meaning of "resolution" I know is... sort of "solution", "closure of problem", or "fixing up". What do they solve at New Year?

I checked a dictionary. I see. It has meaning like "decision" or "determination".

I broke my last New Year's resolutions. So it continues this year. And I add one more New Year's resolution. "Out of the Laziness" ==> "Leave my laziness behind me"

I will give it my best shot so that I can say "it was fulfilling year" at the end of this year.

7 comments:

PA said...

"To not be so lazy?" Is that what you meant?
A good resolution, I think!

PA said...

Ah, you often write, "I try" instead of "I will try..."
Without the 'will' it means you try it all the time rather than you're trying to do it in the future...I think ;-)

sand said...

Yes, "to not be so lazy". I was very lazy last year so I wanted to say about getting away from such a life. But I couldn't find good expression.

I see. I had thought, "try" means "try in the future" for a long time. Thank you!

PA said...

You could say "Leave my laziness behind me" if you wanted to be slightly poetic. "I want to put my lazy, smoking, tv watching days, behind me!" That sort of thing...

sand said...

Thank you!
You put your smoking behind you, right? :-)

PA said...

Sorry - it should be "Leave my smoking days behind me" or "Leave my lazy days behind me"...
Confusing,eh!

sand said...

I memorized the idiom "leave --- my behind". Thank you!