Saturday, January 13, 2007

What you can't say is what you can't hear.

In the script I was study today, there were 3 sentences I couldn't say.

- They've already had to hold it over for a second run.
- But I have heard tombs in Egypt were so airtight that...
- I wish they would have left them untouched.

I can say by alone but I can't say with a speaker in CD. I found one common thing among these sentensces. There are 2 things that 2 words run on. (I'm sorry, I can't explain that in English well.)
"had-to" and "hold-it". "tombs-in" and "Egypt-were". "would-have" and "left-them".
I tried to say those repeatedly but I couldn't.

And, yes, when the speaker says these sentences, I can't understand what she says. English learning experts often say that you can't hear sentences you can't say.

-------------------------------------------------
By the way, I ran spell check on this article. And "I wish they would have left them untouched." was corrected to "they had left...", it's from my English text though. Hmm... Which is correct sentence?

2 comments:

PA said...

The second sounds better to me. Using "would have" sounds like there should be a condition or something: I would have gone home, if I had to...

sand said...

Thank you!
How to use of "would" is one of the most difficult things for me.