Sunday, April 12, 2009

My bad listening comprehension #15

I was taking English dictation as usual.

One of the sentences is;

We saw that during the dot-com boom in the midnighty.

But, I haven't heard the word "midnighty" before. What does it mean? I wonder if it expresses the middle of midnight?? what relation are there between the dot-com boom and the midnight?

Then I checked my textbook. Oh, no! It's "mid-'90s."
How stupid of me! There was the word "the dot-com boom" in the sentence, so if I had have thought a little more, it would have been easy to figure out "mid-'90s." However, once I thought it was "midnighty", I couldn't hear it other words.

You should use your brain more usefully and flexibility, Sand!

My hearing wrong of the past:
http://sandfriend.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-bad-listening-comprehension-14.html

2 comments:

Herm said...

At first I thought dictation was kind of a waste of time, but I have been doing it recently. Do you really think it helps your listening comprehension?

sand said...

Yes!! I really think so! And I like taking dictation a bit more than other English studying.