Thursday, June 24, 2010

England is actually in a harsh situation in the 2nd stage.

In the article before this, I wrote that I was relieved that England could advance the next stage. I also wrote that the US booked a spot in the next stage by a dramatic wining. But today, I realized that the US's dramatic wining drove England into a corner.
Take a look at the following.

Because the US won against Algeria, the US and England placed first and second in the Group C respectively, then England have to face Germany!! Even if they beat Germany, they have to play against Argentina in the next game!!
If the US hadn't gotten a dramatic goal in extra time and ended in a tie, England would have placed first and put the position where the US put for real. These are much easier game!! The US's miracle goal in extra time was extremely worth for the US.


4 comments:

Herman said...

Yeah I know its crazy that one goal can be the difference between winning a group and being eliminated. But I am not complaining. To the victor go the spoils!!

sand said...

Yeah, you are right.
Japanese soccer commentators praised American's performance.
I guess they may be able to reach the semifinals, or even the finals!

Herm said...

LOL. Brazil may have something to say about us going to the finals. I think we have a good chance too but in the second round anything goes. We could make it to the semis or lose our next game . . .

sand said...

I think the US can win against Ghana. Uruguay can be a tough enemy. But the US seems to be in good condition.