Sunday, June 27, 2010

Very sleepy after taking exams, but!!

Sleepy. I didn't get enough sleep last night. Moreover, since I took exams of 3 subjects today, I'm a bit tired. So I'm very sleepy now.

I think I did quite well on the exams given that I didn't prepare for them enough. From the next time, I think I should be better-prepared. The results will come through about the middle of next month. I hope they will be good.

I came up with some English questions as I wrote this article.
I wonder which is doing better, "do quite well" or "do pretty well."
Is it OK to use "come through" for exam results, like "The results will come through the next month"?

Although I'm very sleepy now, I must not sleep. Because! The can't-miss game, England vs. Germany starts 11:00pm. Just 3 hours to go!
br/>

4 comments:

Tim Frost said...

I would say that "pretty well" is better than "quite well", but there is another important difference in the use of these phrases. "pretty well" expresses an optimist, positive feeling, perhaps meaning "better than expected". "quite well" suggests a bit of disappointment, perhaps not achieving as good a result as expected or hoped.

Maybe those different frames of mind prevent us from saying which phrase really indicates more success. Is it better to get 80% when you expected 90%, than to get 75% when you expected 60%? You will feel better in the latter case, though the mark is lower.

Yes, "come through" can be used that way. I suppose it means "come through the system" (of checking and marking and posting, in this case)

You have a tough schedule, made worse by the inconvenient times of those World Cup games. Though I am not really a football fan, I will also be watching the England-Germany match, and hope that the last team you're following doesn't get knocked out. Is it just a coincidence that your all favourites are countries with red and white flags?

Herm said...

England just got robbed huh? Such is soccer. . .

sand said...

Tim,

Thank you for your always reading my blog.
And I really appreciate your detailed answered to my questions! It's also good to know the difference of nuance. Thank you!

Yes, it's coincidence about red and white flags. haha. One more coincidence, I really like red color.

I think you are now excited to watch the game!

sand said...

Herm,

The referee's misjudgment...

Ah---, Germany got a goal just now!! England is losing 1-3 so far...
England! You hare to win!!!!!