Thursday, June 10, 2010

The World Cup will start soon!!

The World Cup is starting tomorrow. I'm very excited as usual.

But I'm very worried about terrible horrible public security. In South Africa, 19,202 people were murdered in 2006. Over 50 people a day!!!!! Also, 52,600 women were raped, there were 218,000 serious injury cases... It is said that stopping at a red light is an outrageous action in South Africa, because people are attacked by robbers during stopping. I can't believe that FIFA selected such a dangerous country as a host.

According to news, in this time, any TV companies in Japan won't send women reporters to the scene. Probably it happened for the first time.

In fact, some foreign journalists were attacked by robbers in South Africa for the last couple of weeks. One of them was attacked during staying at a hotel, although it was the four-star hotel!

I hope nothing happens.

Anyway, my lack of sleep will continue for about a month.

6 comments:

Herm said...

I don't know if too many women travel for the WC in general though. When I went to some soccer games in Europe, it seemed like 95% of the people in the stadium were men. And a lot of them pretty rough looking.

But yeah I guess they wanted to have it in Africa, and S. Africa is probably the only country that has the infrastructure to do it. There are definitely safer places they could have had it though.

But I guess crime is just something that you have to deal with if you are going to have it in third world countries... Brazil has crazy high crime too but they got both the WC and the Olympics. . .

sand said...

Yes, I think you are right. Many developing countries like BRICs will host global events such as the World Cup and the Olympics in the future. But the IOC and the FIFA should make "Security" a top priority!
Thank you for your comment!

AVINASH INARKAR said...

thanks i got ur mail and about the earlier mail may be mistakely it has been deleted from my side.. ok as i daily read your blog. I really want to know how to improve the vocabulary and how to remember those words in future.Is there any stuff which i can download from the internet. and ha can mail me your mail id or you can join me on Facebook.http://www.facebook.com/?tid=341025825761&sk=messages#!/?ref=home

or Orkut
http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Home.aspx?tab=m0

sand said...

Avinash,

I recommend using a software "Anki" to remember words, idioms and sentences.
Here is the home page, and you can download it for free.

http://ichi2.net/anki/index.html

AVINASH INARKAR said...

thanks sand ... hey u didnt add me on orkut or facebook. waiting for your reply..or add me as avinash.inarkar@gmail.com

sand said...

I don't have the account of both of them...