Tuesday, June 03, 2008

"What do you do?" vs. "What is your job?"

When people ask someone for his/her job, they say "What do you do?" in English. I feel it strange.

If someone asked me "What do you do?", for example we were talking over lunch, I want to answer "I'm having lunch." or "About when are you asking? About my personal time such as the weekend?"

"What is your job?" makes a lot more sense for me. But today, I found that it is inappropriate because it's impolite. Hmm...

Japanese people tend to avoid telling something directly. They tend to insinuate something, and care about being polite MUCH more than English speakers. But when Japanese ask someone's job, they say "what is your job?" in Japanese.
I wonder what point is impolite in English.

3 comments:

PA said...

Yeah, it really just sounds too direct to ask someone what their job is. I think it's a bit of a myth that English is direct and Japanese is the subtle and indirect language. Both American English and British English use different terms to avoid being direct...
would it be possible to? Would you mind if I? I couldn't do such and such could I?...
For Japanese I think it takes such a long time before the barriers between people come down that you're locked in this politeness for longer. British people are similarly polite but not for as long...I reckon. I just started a new job and everyone is very keen not to offend. We open doors for each other, we ask if we can do such and such, we tip-toe around each other. But after a few days we become a lot more direct. I think with Japanese people this takes much longer...
S'interesting, I think.

sand said...

I've heard that British people are more polite than Americans.
I think you are right. It takes a long time for Japanese people to break barriers to others.
You started a new job!? I checked your site. You are a copywriter!! Cool!
Good luck in your new job.

PA said...

He he, thanks m(..)m