Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Documentaries about wars

August is something like "the war month" in Japan, because 6th is the atomic bombing in Hiroshima, 9th is the atomic bombing in Nagasaki and 15th is the anniversary of the end of World War II (for Japan). A lot of documentaries and dramas about the war used to air on TV. So I've been getting many information about the war since I was a kids. However, those programs rarely aired recent years. I've been concerned about this situation because people would start forgetting the horrors of war and in the end nobody would know about those.

However, to my surprise, a lot of programs about war are airing this year.
As a war researcher Sand, I can't missed them!

Yesterday, I watched the documentary about Okinawa where became a horrible battlefield by the landing of American troops.
Today, I watched the documentary about the Holocaust.
And now, I'm watching the documentary about the detention in a Siberian labor camp.

I know about those things very well because I've been aggressively finding out the information about wars since I was a kid, from such as TV documentaries, exhibitions, books and so on. In spite of that, I'm still distressed and in tears.

Some of the survivors of those horrible situations never talked about their experience, even not talked to their families. From that, I can imagine that they had gone through a hell. Although some of them talk, they talk in a toneless voice, and suddenly cry. What a disastrous situation they went through.

By the way, I wonder why the detention in a Siberian labor camp isn't known so much.
Soviet interned a lot of captives and made them work in forced labor in a very cold land with little food. Besides, it was conducted AFTER THE WAR, which was the illegal acts disobeying the Potsdam Declaration. A lot of captives died. I think I can say that their life in the Siberian labor camp was more harsh than in Auschwitz Concentration Camp. In fact, the former President of the Russian Federation Yeltsin expressed that apology for the inhumane acts.

There are more programs which I should watch... no, people should watch to know the fact.

No comments: