Saturday, August 09, 2008

Tani was defeated

The 2008 Beijing Olympic Games started yesterday.

One of the events I look forward to is Judo. Games of judo always take place right after the opening ceremony. And Japanese players get many golden medals.
But! The eventful affair has happened!

Ryoko Tani (aka Yawara-chan), who was aiming three consecutive gold medals, lost in the semifinals. Before the games, I felt her face looked a bit glum. She didn't look like usual her. I wonder if there was something wrong with her.

She had participated in the Olympic Games 5 times. It had never happened that she couldn't move into the final.

She won the third-place match. Although other players who won the third-place match were thoroughly delighted, she was smileless.

Tani standing on the podium without smile

I always look forward to the opening ceremony too. I'm always very impressed. So of course I watched it on TV yesterday, but I fell asleep in 20 minutes. haha. I wonder if the ceremony this time was boring.

2 comments:

Rick Cogley said...

When talking about her performance, Tani senshu acted with the highest professional demeanor and was absolutely selfless in her comments. I was completely impressed by her and felt she is so worthy of respect. A true champion.

sand said...

Yes! That's so true! I always respect her, especially her solid mental strength.