Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Thinking about Judo

I think European judo is different from real judo. Real judo... I mean Japanese judo or orthodox judo. Japanese judo, for example, games Japan vs. Korea are very exciting, but games by Europeans are a bit boring and not fun.

But it can't be helped. Now, judo isn't Japan's sport. It's the sport of the world. Globalizing things are always changing from original orthodox ones. For example, sushi.
There are many sushi restaurants all of the world now. But I don't think most of them provide real sushi. Those are not real sushi, at least for me. Sushi has been globalized, then changed.
I think Brazilian judo is similar Japanese judo. I wonder because there are many Japanese Brazilian in Brazil.
Many Japanese care about orthodox judo. So we are fed up with boring European judo and even don't regard blue judo wears as real judo wears.

I wonder why there is consolation match system in judo. I feel it a bit strange. Then 2 persons get bronze medals. Hmm... I don't know well about this system but, person A defeats person B at the first-round match, but person B wins the bronze medal although person A can't do. It can happen, right?

Judo is very active in France. I heard the number of the judo players is higher than that in Japan. So in the international competitions, France is the strongest rival for Japan. But both Japan and France are not making good results in the Beijing Olympics so far. I wonder if it means other countries go from strength to strength.

While I am writing this article, Ayumi Tanimoto, judo 63kg category, won the gold medal! She won all her matches by IPPON. Aiming to win by IPPON. It's the orthodox real Japanese judo!


Ayumi Tanimoto. Before finishing throwing, she is secure of her victory and smiles.

5 comments:

Rick Cogley said...

Yeah, I noticed a difference in feeling too and I like when they win by ippon. Did you see how the other competitors' "ojigi" bows were kind of awkward.

I thought that the competitors who had to face Tawara chan must have felt she is a hero(ine) in that sport. It must be hard to try to beat your hero.

Rick Cogley said...

Oops, fumbly fingers: YAwara chan.

sand said...

Yeah! Wining by ippon is THE JUDO!

I've always thought that non-Japanese's bows are really awkward. Especially in the movies, bows of actors/actresses are unnatural.
I wonder if Japanese handshakes are also awkward??

By the way, "awkward" is the first word for me. Hmm, it's very useful.

Rick Cogley said...

Yep, Japanese handshakes are really, really awkward for people who have never been in a western culture where it is the norm. It feels like you are grasping a dead fish! The way to go about it is, put the place between your forefinger and thumb against the other person's, and grasp firmly with a couple of shakes.

No "grip of death" is necessary though some men make it a policy to show how strong they are by nearly breaking the other person's fingers, but you get the picture. Firm and solid is the key, I think.

Also, there are certain cultures that don't seem to know when to quit shaking up and down. Americans usually do one or two vertical shakes while looking the other person in the eye. Other cultures can go on for what seems like forever. You also get the folks who grab you with both hands. Feels like you're shaking with a politician!

Cheers,
Rick

sand said...

Yes, I'm sometimes surprised at their very firm grasping when I shake hands with non-Japanese.
Japanese avoid touching others body. So we seldom hug others even if they are our friends or family. Handshaking, too. Japanese handshakes are just touching other's fingers. I often heard that it makes non-Japanese feel weird. Yes, it's like grasping a dead fish! Haha.