Thursday, August 14, 2008

There is a winner. It means there is a loser.

Keiji Suzuki, judo 100kg category, was defeated at the first-round match, by ippon. He was also defeated at the first match of the consolation tournament, by ippon.

He won the gold medal in the over 100kg category at the Athens Olympics, and was one of Japanese athletes who were expected to win the gold medal this time. Especially I thought his wining was for sure.

After losing at the consolation match, he couldn't stand up for a long time, quite long time. It was heart-wrenching and I couldn't go on watching him.

Behind delighted winners, there are losers. When I watch sports games, I tend to focus losers unconsciously. I can't help thinking of things about them, especially about what they have been doing for the competition.

Keiji Suzuki crouching on the floor

No comments: