Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Denmark missed 2006 World Cup berth.

I'm interested in Denmark. There are some reasons. I omit to write the reasons today. I wondered if Denmark earned 2006 World Cup berth, so I checked web site. Hmm... What a pity! They missed it.

Denmark was in Group 2 and it was called "Group of Death". Greece that was the last Europe Champion was also in Group 2 and missed the berth.

The number of the berth for Europe is 13 except Germany. 51 countries competed for it. It's fierce competition! Compared with that, competition in Asia is so easy. If Japan is included in the Europe competition, Japan could never play in the World Cup. It's impossible! It is said that the number of berth for Asia is too many.

The Final Draw will take place on 9 Dec. I wonder which team I cheer for instead of Denmark.

6 comments:

Azxel said...

huh? What's this 'berth' you're referring to?

sand said...

Example sentences of dictionary are
fight for Olympic berth
earn Olympic berth etc...

It means such as place, spot or right. For example,
earn a place
gain a spot
give someone the right to take part in Olympic

By the way, you changed your nickname, didn't you?

Azxel said...

o.O

"Berth" is normally used like for ports and stuff, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure what you mean but I think you mean "Qualify".

So, maybe the sentence should be, "I wonder if Denmark qualified for the 2006 World Cup".


http://www.wordwebonline.com/search.pl?w=berth

http://www.wordwebonline.com/search.pl?w=qualified

azxel has always been my nickname. Chris is my real name. =P

btw, it's "Merry X-Mas" not "Marry..".

sand said...

Oh-----!!! I didn't notice the mistake of "Marry". Haha. I just downloaded it from the site of free Internet materials. I must change it.

Actually I know meaning of berth you mentioned and those are main meaning. I see, "qualified" is appropriate. Thank you, azxel!

Azxel said...

I'd cheer for Holland (total football) and Italy.

sand said...

Both of them are nice team!