Friday, November 25, 2005

My name's movie

One Hollywood movie will come out across Japan and the U.S. next month. Its story is about a Japanese geisha girl. So of course it set in Japan. The movie's title is my first name! It's name of the geisha who is a heroine of the movie. (English title is different.) I wonder why this name was chosen.

English site => http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/memoirsofageisha/
Japanese site => http://www.movies.co.jp/sayuri/

Many Japanese actors and actresses appear in it. BUT an actress who plays HEROINE isn't a Japanese! Chinese actress Ziyi Zhang plays it. WHY??? I shake my head...

And everyone speak English in daily conversation. It's really strange. That can't be it. In another Hollywood movie "The Last Samurai", Japanese samurai also spoke English.
Story of movie "K-19" (leading actor was Harrison Ford) was about A-sub of Soviet. The story was played out almost in the A-sub. Of course crews were Russian in story... but it was Hollywood movie and actors were Hollywood stars. So everyone was speaking English in A-sub. I have heard that many people felt strange.

8 comments:

Azxel said...

Michelle Yeoh (one of the actress) is from my country, she comes from a town where I grew up once. I guess Spielberg only wanted Top Asian Actresses. There aren't that many famous Japanese actresses out there, I think... no offence.

The novel itself was written by Arthur Golden anyway, so I doubt that he actually wrote it in your language. That name of the novel is "Memoirs of a geisha", hence the title of the movie in English.

Yea... "Last Samurai" was weird. It really is strange to see everyone speaking English sometimes, especially when they're in some foreign land and you know that it's really impossible for everyone to speak English.

Oh, your name is Sayuri then? You must be thrilled.

Anonymous said...

well, it is probably not very accurate, but it is supposed to be a beautifully filmed movie, so maybe it is worth watching!

did you ever see the movie Twilight Samurai (Tagore Seibei)? That probably seems more realistic.

sand said...

Azxel,
I think so! Spielberg wanted a famous actress worldwide. Boo...

When I saw the official site of the movie and found that Michelle Yeoh was from Malaysia, I thought it was same country as Chris!

Yes, my name is Sayuri!

sand said...

Kirk,
Oh, it's "Tasogare Seibei". This story was about a low-grade samurai, wasn't it? I haven't watched it. I've heard that it was very good movie, and it was nominated for Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards.

Azxel said...

hehe.. my name is Chris. Azxel is my nickname.

sand said...

What does Azxel mean? Are you usually called Azxel? (Actually, I don't know its pronunciation.)

Azxel said...

Hmm.. Azxel was a nickname I used since the 90s. It's pronounced as 'Es-Kell'. You may call me Chris since it's easier. hehe

sand said...

I haven't heard of "azxel" before.
Do your friends call you azxel?