Friday, September 22, 2006

The first smell of orange osmanthus

Although midnight, I went to a convenience store and came back just now.

When I went outside, there was a good smell of orange asmanthus. It's the first time in this autumn. It's one of autumn features. I smell it every year and I'm happy when it smells.

Orange osmanthus is "kin-mokusei" in Japanese. I didn't know its English. Hmm... orange. I liked English name. In Japanese, "kin" of "kin-mokusei" means gold. Yes, gold osmanthus. I like orange better.

4 comments:

PA said...

I think it's 'frangrant olive tree' in English. I absolutely loved it when I lived in Japan. And I miss that sweet smell - it's such a strong frangrance, eh. I tried to buy one when I got back to England but it's a European olive tree and doesn't flower :-(

sand said...

Thank you for stopping by and letting me know the word!!
I wonder if the fragrant olive isn't common tree in England, we can see it all around in Japan though. Good smell and cute flower:-)
I will visit your site later!

Meredith said...

We have that tree in California; I love to catch the scent of it in autumn. Thanks for the Japanese word! "Asmanthus" actually sounds Greek - I think it means "breath-flower" or "song-flower."

sand said...

Oh, Greek. There are many words from Greek and Latin. It's a bit difficult for me.
Orange osmanthus season in 2008 will come soon!