Thursday, September 21, 2006

Which English?

Reviewing the TOEIC mock exam I took, I found one of reasons why I couldn't catch at all what speaker was saying.

Of course, main reason is my poor English. But other reason is difference of English. As I mentioned before, British, Canadian and Australian English (including New Zealand) joined in the listening section. I found I couldn't catch one pronunciation. It is... I can't explain how the pronunciation is... it sounds somewhat being dragged?? But it's for certain that plosive, such as "t" and "p", were pronounced very strongly. Is it British, Canadian or Australian? Which English?

I wonder how I should study those English...

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I think that it was British English you heard. The British pronounce all their 't's very strongly, while Americans soften them almost to 'd's if they come inside of a word. The British probably think that we sound like we have a cold!

sand said...

Meredith,

Thank you for putting your comment.
I see. It was British English.
A cold. Haha!