Sunday, September 10, 2006

The most difficult language?

I always think Japanese is much more difficult than English. So I compliment foreigners who speak Japanese or study Japanese. But there are languages that are more difficult than Japanese. What language is the most difficult?

I studied a new English idiom the other day. It's "be Greek to". For example, "it's all Greek to me.", "it sounds Greek to me." and so on. Hmm... Greek is difficult that much? I've never heard Greek.

By the way, I think it is right that English is an international language, because English isn't so difficult, is very simple language. Despite this, why can't I speak English so well? Haha...

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Greek is about as hard as Latin, maybe a little more. I think it actually sounds a bit like... Japanese! (But it has more weird clumps of consonants.) Words like "omomoke" and "dokemon" made me think this... also, lots of Japanese anime uses Greek words for names and titles. Like "Neon Genesis Evangelion." All Greek words!

To be an educated person in Europe, you once had to learn Greek and Latin in school. Greek sounds less like English than Latin does, and it has a different alphabet. Also the verbs have more forms to learn. So people say "It's Greek to me!" about an arcane subject that mystifies them. The language of economics is all Greek to me.

sand said...

Greek sounds like Japanese!? I want to hear conversation in Greek! I've never heard it. But I'm unconsciously surrounded by a lot of Greek like Evangelion. I see.