Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Book: The Dalai Lama, FREEDOM IN EXILE

This book is an autobiography of the 14th Dalai Lama.

While I read this book, I had an impression that he was not something special, but just an ordinary person, like us. He sometimes gets angry, is sometimes excited at something interesting and sometimes feels depressed. There is no difference from us.

What prompted me to start having interest in Tibetan Buddhism was one TV program about Tibet.
In the program, many Tibetan appeared and their characters were... how can I say... very impressed. I wondered why their characters were so excellent, wonderful, great... I don't know an appropriate expression. Then I guessed that it was due to Tibetan Buddhism. That's why I had interest in Tibetan Buddhism.

Before reading this book, I read another book in connection with the 14th Dalai Lama. It was what he talked in his lecture when he came to Japan. I felt he (his speech) was something special. (And some of those were a bit difficult to understand.) Especially he talked about love and benevolence. I thought his mind transcended usual human mind. But what he talked was from Tibetan Buddhism doctrine. I found it from his autobiography that the Dalai Lama himself was just one ordinary person. I'm more and more interested in Tibetan Buddhism.

By the way, there was the following sentence in the book;
"I wished China behaved as civilized people when......"

I've also always thought the current China is far from a civilized country. So I really feel it strange that the IOC chose China as a host country. So now, a pile of problems came out.

No comments: