Thursday, May 29, 2008

The definite article

I am always annoyed about whether I should put article or not, especially the definite article.
As you can see from this blog, my way to use articles is entirely wrong. There is no "article" in Japanese. So it is very difficult.

For example, about proper nouns.
Basically "the" is not needed, but there are many (TOO many) exceptions.
"The" is not needed for place-name, such as country names, continent names, state names and mountain names. But for sea names, river names, Channel name and canal name "the" is necessary. Why?Hmm... first, I thought things in connection with water needs "the". But!! "the" is not needed for lake!!

If there is kind of "rule", I can guess even if new words come up. But there is no rule! So, even if I understand about above, a new word, for example "harbor" in this case, comes up, it's impossible to find "the" is needed or not. I need the rule! I want to know why! Why "the" is necessary in that case? Why... Too fuzzy.

Someone said that languages are fuzzy. Hmm... In case of mathematics, if I know basic formulas (=rules), I can solve complicated math problems using the basic formula. But in case of languages, what I need to do is just remembering.

That reminds me that I was a student who liked mathematics MUCH more than English.

No comments: