Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Gerunds or To-infinitives

After English verbs, there are cases that gerunds or To-infinitives follow those. Depending on verbs, some verbs have to be followed only by gerunds and some verbs have to be followed only by To-infinitives. It's difficult.

More difficult thing is...
Some verbs can be followed by both gerunds and To-infinitives but in case of some of them, the meanings are different.

For example, "try".
I had thought that "try" was the verb followed by To-infinitives but I found it could be followed by both. But! the meanings between "try to ---" and "try --ing" are different. The similar things apply to other verbs...

If I mistake to choose gerund or To-infinitive, (and I think it is often the case), it would be at risk for making somebody misunderstand by what I don't intend to say. Dangerous. Very dangerous. Especially on business.

No comments: