Monday, October 03, 2005

I can't read English fast!

I sent my friend an e-card. When I send e-cards, I use Japanese greeting website of course. But the friend I sent this time is a foreigner so I searched English site and sent from it.

There were many e-cards and I checked a few contents of them. There was one problem in some of them...English sentences or words appear on display and then they disappear soon. I couldn't read them! Because it takes much time to read English than to read Japanese. It made me remember my driving in U.S.

I went to Texas for business trip a few years ago.As soon as I arrived at Dallas airport, I rent a car there, and drove to the hotel. Of curse I didn't know the road of Texas at all so I read traffic signs carefully when I drove on the freeway. But I couldn't read English very fast so I usually passed by the traffic signs before I read. Usually people don't read the traffic sign, just look, right? I also don't read Japanese traffic sign. I can understand it by just looking. But I can't understand English by just looking. I need to read.

I found myself driving 40km per hour on the freeway...

4 comments:

Azxel said...

hehe... I didn't realise A,B,Cs were hard to read... I guess it would be easy once you're used to it.

btw, 'curse' is something like 'bachi'... unless you mean 'course'. In case it wasn't a typo.

How long does it take you to catch a sentence (how many alphabets too)?

sand said...

Oh---! I wanted to write "of course". I didn't know the word "curse". Bad word... Can you speak Japanese?

My reading speed is... hmm... Usually I don't think my speed is so slow, it is slower than native speaker's one though. But English sentences on the e-cards disappeared before I finished reading.

When I read words I haven't known, my reading speed is maybe same kids' one who read picture books. Slowly... Especially family name and place name are difficult. So I drove 40km per hour on the freeway. And I also can't read fast the end credit (credit line?) of movies.

Azxel said...

I can't really speak Japanese (maybe one or two words from watching Animes). :P I wanted to learn though but never found the time to do so.

Hahaha... even I can't keep up with the fast end credits of movies. If you can keep up with it, you can be my teacher for speed reading. ;)

Maybe one thing that might help is to remember certain 'key' words in a sentence. That way, it might help you identify the word faster?

sand said...

Key word. I see. Thank you!

Japanese anime is really popular among foreigners. Maybe they know Japanese anime much better than me, I'm a Japanese though. (^.^)