Thursday, October 13, 2005

Photographer's heart

The damage of tremendous powerful earthquake that hit Pakistan was terrible. I've heard that Pakistan is earthquake-prone area, but most houses aren't quakeproof structures unlike Japan.

One day I was watching the news about the earthquake in Pakistan. Camera was capturing local residents who were trying to dig a person from rubble. There was no heavy equipment so they did by human power. Then one of them said to the cameraman, "we are trying to rescue a person so help us". I thought HE WAS RIGHT!! The cameraman was capturing them up close.

Sometimes photographers take pictures in the battlefields and their photos win the awards. They go to many battlefields with justification that their mission is to show people terrible battlefields situations. But I always think why they don't help people in front of them before pressing shutter button. They might help them after pressing shutter button. But if they have normal human heats...

I often watch movies and documentaries about war and I want many people to watch those to realize horrors of wars. But when I see photos in the battlefields, I always think I can't understand the feeling of the photographer who can press shutter button before helping people, like the cameraman who was in Pakistan.
I'm contradicting myself...

2 comments:

Azxel said...

Hi.

Countries like Pakistan can't afford to build quake-proof structures.

You need not use 'One day..." to start off that sentence. Dunno but it just sounds odd. "One day.." sounds like something that you would do one day in the future, not something you did a few days ago or yesterday.

Also, "I was watching the news" does sounds a bit off.

"The other day..." sounds more proper. It reflects on an event that had passed.

"Camera" -> "The camera", "rubble" -> "the rubble" ,"local residents", you can use "locals" instead too. Maybe... "The camera was capturing the locals trying to dig a person out of the rubble" or "The camera captured the locals trying to dig someone out of the (pile of) rubble"

"by human power" should be "by hand".. or rather, maybe the phrase could be "Since equipment and machinery weren't available, the people had to use their bare hands" or something else.

"the horrors of wars" -> "the horrors of war"

"press the shutter button" -> "took the picture/photograph"

*ack* sorry, I couldn't help by pointing those out. :|

Anyway, I've always wondered why photographers/cameraman/journalists never stop to lend a hand too. Perhaps, they're just too caught up in their own world and self-righteous justifications of what they do? Maybe, they really can't be bothered or really don't care at all... or perhaps, they're just doing their jobs, what they're paid to do out there by their companies.

sand said...

Thank you for correcting my English!

I always bother myself about article (the? a? or nothing?), and singular or plural. These are BIG 2 PROBLEMS for me. There are no conceptions of those in Japanese.

So I need to listen and read English a lot.