Saturday, October 29, 2005

Tokyo govt plans to redevelop my area.

According to newspaper, the Tokyo metropolitan government has been working on a 1 trillion* yen plan to redevelop Yoyogi Park and its surrounding areas as the main venue for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. I live near Yoyogi Park. It's my area!

I always find the opening ceremonies of the Olympics very inspiring. I want to go to see it once at least. If it is in Tokyo, it's best! I want Tokyo to win the race to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. Before that, Tokyo must defeat Sapporo and Fukuoka. Go for it, Tokyo!!

----------------------------------------
*trillion
I didn't know but according to a dictionary, one trillion is 1,000,000,000,000 in U.S.
But it's 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 in U.K.
British and American English are sometimes different. But figures difference confuses.
I wonder which language is used in International community and business.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you will have to move in ten years! That would be exciting if they brought the olympics back to Tokyo, but maybe Sapporo would be better? Then you can have them in Japan, but not in your neighborhood!

PS - in international business, they use the American English.

sand said...

Sapporo has held the Winter Olympic Games. I wonder if there is city that held both Summer and Winter Games. If Sapporo wins the race, maybe Sapporo is the first city to hold both Games?

I see. The American English is used in international business. I wonder that's why most English education in Japan teaches American English.

Ari Tamat said...

I'm surprised. You don't mind that they will destroy Yoyogi Park? Go to your local politician and tell them to SAVE THE PARK!

sand said...

Taro,
Thank you for putting the comment. Hajimemashite!

Destroy? Hmm... I don't think they destroy the park. It's developing!

When the 1964 Summer Olympic Games was held in Tokyo, Yoyogi Park was Olympic village. After the Olympic, it became the park. So Yoyogi Park will be remodeled for the Olympic again.
And I personally like "NEW" so I'm looking forward to seeing NEW Yoyogi Park.
Probably you don't want Tokyo govt to change Yoyogi Park because you like it?