Sunday, October 09, 2005

My terrible listening skill

I went to drink with my English teacher tonight. At first we drank at British bar in Shinjuku.

He speaks easy English slowly in class. But today wasn't lesson of course. So I often couldn't catch what he said. My listening skill is really bad. Probably he usually speaks faster and uses more difficult words.

Most foreigners who study Japanese have good listening skill, even if they can't speak, write and read Japanese so much. My writing and reading are much better than listening. What is difference?

After drinking at the bar, we went to the Kaiten Sushi restaurant. We went to there late so most my favorite neta(*) were sold out. It was pity.

----------

(*) Neta means sashimi on the rice. It's one of sushi-related words.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that most foreigners you know are here in Japan - so their ears are "trained", or ready to hear Japanese. Even if they do not know the language, it is always there - on the subway, in the convenience store, in the office etc. It is harder for Japanese in Japan to listen to English because they do not hear it all the time.

sand said...

As you said, I think environment is important to learn language. I wonder my listening skill would improve faster if I live in English-speaking countries.
But I live in Tokyo. I do my best n this environment!

Anonymous said...

i am sure you are doing well - i could never write in Japanese and I have lived in Tokyo for five years. then again, i am very lazy.

sand said...

Oh, you have lived in Tokyo for 5 years! Probably you can speak Japanese well.

Japanese writing is much harder than English one. 46 hiragana, 46 katakana and infinite kanji. So I haven't met foreigners who could write Japanese well. (^.^)