Saturday, July 08, 2006

One article wrritten by one soccer journalist

I often wrote about bad side of soccer and some teams do those things very often. I found the article similar to my opinion. It was written by a British soccer journalist living in Japan. I extract passages from it. (I translate it so there must be many strange English in spite of the article in a newspaper. Sorry.)

===========================================
Show us "Beautiful Portugal" at the end

In the Portugal team, there are players who have brilliant talents, especially Cristiano Ronaldo. But there are also players who mirror the bad part of modern soccer, yes, one of them is Cristiano Ronaldo. When this young winger comes back to the Man U, he will be treated harshly by even fans of Man U. It is due to his role in Rooney's direct red. The revulsion against him is very strong and he was booed by even fans of France in the semifinal game.
His play is speedy and he is good at controlling the ball, but he can't quit playing foul. He falls down in a very artificial way and always aims for chance of FK, PK and cards against opposition players.
----- *snip* ----
If Portugal team concentrates on showing every good parts of soccer, it's fun to see their games. But they often do gamesmanship and spend a lot of time misleading a judge rather than playing. Especially they have a pronounced tendency to do that at being wining.
Figo also should serve as a model for young players in the world, instead of pretending to be injured or repeating complaining a judge. I guess I'm not only one who rejoiced at seeing that Figo's header went wide of the goal in the semifinal game.
----- *snip* ----
Portugal has one more game that is the 3rd-place match.
----- *snip* ----
Taking this opportunity, I think Portugal and Germany have a duty to entertain people in the world. I hear the word "the beautiful game" many times in the World Cup, but it is not so beautiful so far. There are few people who remembered which team won the 3rd-place match. The game is not expected for big things.
So I think both of teams have role to enjoy playing with smile and show fun like things soccer usually creates in the world. Or I wonder this hope is too high even in the 3rd-place match.
===========================================

Whew... It was too hard for me to translate it...

No comments: