Monday, September 19, 2005

After the English interview on the phone

I have just finished an English interview on the telephone.
The interviewer struggled through my poor English patiently. But if I can speak English much better, he could have wanted to talk about more detail.

He had a generous view of my poor English. I think one of reason is that he isn't a native speaker. He is a German and lives in Germany. Of course he can speak English fluently and he works worldwide though. And he knows well that English level of most Japanese is much lower than other countries.

He said that managers of each region sometimes gather and discuss about business. Its role is impossible for me as the present my English skill. Hmm...

6 comments:

Azxel said...

hmm... might I ask what you do to improve your English verbally?

sand said...

Chris,
Thank you for posting comment.
I study English every morning for an hour. Mainly I do repeating, shadowing, overlapping and dictation using textbooks and CDs.
And I go to English conversation school once a week.
I have a small vocabulary so I need to increase my vocabulary...

Azxel said...

I see. Though they may seem like effective ways to improve your english, I think you might improve faster by conversing more with some English-speaking friends (the more you talk the faster you learn) and reading newspapers or novels out loud, especially novels since they have spoken sentences in them.

Also, check up on English radio channels (POD casting is quite ideal) and TV programmes when going for entertainment. A nice English DVD with English subtitles will help you improve.

Sorry if I seem pushy. Hope I didn't offend you by being over suggestive. Might I ask, how long have you been learning English?

sand said...

Thank you so much for your advices, Chris!
Yes. I always think I should have more time to converse with English speakers. It is the most necessary thing for me.

I have been studying English for about 3 years. But it is only recently that I have started to learn English diligently.

I will do things you recommend for me. What is POD?

Azxel said...

oh... I meant 'Podcasting'. It's kinda like internet radio programmes.

I wish you all the best. I'll check up on you sometime in the future though I'm pretty sure you're already speaking pretty well.

sand said...

I checked Podcasting on the Internet. I see. I didn't know that.
Thank you so much for your help.
I do my best!!