Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The meaning of "haha"

Much onomatopoeia is different between English and Japanese. But it seems that there are a few same onomatopoeias. One of them is laughing "haha". I often write "haha" in my English writing for a long time. But! I found out a thing of shock. I looked up "haha" in the web dictionary the other day. It is the laughing with contempt. Really? I can't believe! I often write it, for example in mails to my friends...

I have heard that "LOL" means laughing out loud. I wonder what you write when you want to write normal laughing.

2 comments:

Azxel said...

i have
- "hehe" for small laughter
- "muahaahaha" or "mwahahaha" for big hysterical ones
- "heh" for short bursts
- "kekeke" for cheeky ones
- "ha-ha" for fake ones

sand said...

Thank you, Chris.
Hmm... sound of each laughing words is almost same between English and Japanese but it seems that nuance of words is sometimes different.
For example, Japanese "hehe" is impish laughing etc. It's interesting!