Friday, September 23, 2005

Crossword puzzle in English

It took about more than three months since I changed my newspaper to English paper. I liked reading a newspaper very much so I didn't want to change but I thought it was useful for my English learning. But I don't use it effectively at all. Too bad.

I started to try to do crossword puzzle in English that is put on the newspaper everyday. It's too hard! The leading cause is my small vocabulary. But there are also some other reasons.
For example...

Case 1, "S" problem (It's main problem.)
Question: Sky sightings
I wondered it was "UFO". But there were four cells, hmm... Then answer was "UFOS". Huh?
There is few concept of plural in Japanese. "S" of the third person singular too.

Case 2, "Abbreviation" problem
Question: Fourth-yr. students
I wondered it was "SENIOR" or "SENIORS". But there were three cells. Answer was "SRS". What??
Quesiton: Apt. parts. Answer was "RMS". Gah!

It takes much time to do crossword puzzle so I can't do it everyday. But I try to do as much as I can and I hope I will be able to fill cells about 80% by the end of this year.

4 comments:

Azxel said...

*duh*

I was never into crossword puzzles but I think that, which you did certainly had some... erm... problems. I think that it wasn't hard, I think it was plain silly (the puzzle I mean).

I thought SRS was "Surround Sound".

btw, do you read the newspaper outloud?

Anonymous said...

Yikes! crosswords can be very difficult because it is not usually standard English! 80% would be very good...

sand said...

Chris,
Yes. As you said, I read English out loud. There are many words I don't know though... haha.
And recently extensive reading is recommended for learning English in Japan.
Thank you again!

sand said...

Kirk,
Thank you for your comment.
Are English crosswords difficult for even native speakers?
Japanese crosswords that are often put on newspapers are not difficult so much. I can fill cells almost 100%.
Hmm... I wonder if 80% is too high goal for me.

By the way, my friend who is a foreigner also works for a German bank in Japan.